We're suffering another blast of late summer hot weather, so I ended up hibernating inside most of the weekend. It's past time to get our fall garden started, but I totally couldn't face going out in the 90+ degree weather to do it. The good news is that with the air conditioning going full blast, it still felt a bit like fall inside the house and so I managed to get a fair bit of knitting done this weekend.
Keeping with this whole new (for me) project monogamy approach, Icarus was my weekend project. I haven't bothered taking any pictures because it doesn't look like I've made much progress even though I have. In theory, I managed to finish the last repeat of chart 1 on Sunday evening. I'm engaged in a major debate right now if I want to add another repeat of chart 1 (to increase the width of the shawl by 8") or if I should just stick with the original instructions. I even did some research on ravelry to find people who used the same yarn to see what they did - the only person I found who was finished and used malabrigo lace weight made the shawl per the directions and ended up with a width of 66", which sounds pretty good. I'm still debating though.
I've decided that chart 1 (which I used to describe as the boring part of the shawl) is actually fun to knit. Simple, easy to see what you're supposed to be doing, and enjoyable overall. I'm still looking forward to getting to chart 2 though :)
Okay, I did also start a sewing project this weekend. I'm finally getting around to cutting the pieces for the Amy Butler High Street Messenger Bag pattern that Tim got me for my birthday. I made it through cutting the pieces for the exterior and also for the canvas (which is used in place of interfacing in this project). I'm not sure how long cutting the interior fabric is going to take. The exterior and canvas parts took something like 4 hours to cut out, and there are more pieces for the interior section. This pattern is far and away the most complicated sewing project I've ever attempted. I'm pretty nervous about it - there are about a million pieces and the construction process seems really convoluted. I'll start taking some pictures once I have something concrete to show for it - a pile of fabric pieces didn't seem that exciting.